Was not so sure about this recipe but am so glad i did try it out. It was absolutely fun to make and had such a different pattern to it. My family loved it and when i served it to some friends who came to visit they loved it as well. The original recipe called less sugar so i needed to dust icing to suit our tastes. The texture turned out perfect too. All-in all a good cake. This one is for keeps!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Makes one 9-inch (23 cm) cake
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (8 fl oz / 250 ml) milk, at room temperature
1 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups (10 oz / 300 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
You’ll also need: mixing bowls, electric mixer or wire whisk, 9 inch (23 cm) non-stick round cake pan.
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until the mixture is creamy and light in color.
3. Add milk and oil and the vanilla essence and continue beating until well blended.
4. In a separate bowl, sift, combine and mix flour,baking powder and the baking soda. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine just until the batter is smooth and the dry ingredients are thoroughly blended. DO NOT OVERBEAT to prevent air pockets from forming in the batter.
5. Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions. Keep one portion plain. Add cocoa powder into the another and mix well.
6. Lightly grease the pan with oil.
7. Now come the most important part. Scoop a big ladle of the plain batter into the middle of the baking pan. Then using another ladle of the same size scoop the cocoa batter and pour it over the center of the plain batter. Do not stop and wait until the previous batter spreads – KEEP GOING! Do not spread the batter or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture. It will spread by itself and fill the pan gradually. Continue alternating the batters until you finish them.
8. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Enjoy with or without icing…..