Although my kids and husband are die-hard chocolate lovers, i dont mind trying out different flavours every once in a while. So it was with a certain bit of apprehension that I tried out the following recipe. I got the recipe from Farida’s Azerbaijani s wonderful site.Although Feta cheese was what was actually recommended, I opted for the regular processed variety as anyother variety is rather hard to come by here in Goa.The recipe did say specifically no salted cheese….but i didnt have a choice and bravely decided to go ahead!!
The cake was sweet and moist and tasted very much like a cheesecake and i am a sucker for cheesecakes! I loved the lemony flavour in the cake but my kids( not surprisingly) did not really like it too much. Nevertheless, it was a good easy recipe and the end result was quite nice.
LEMONY CHEESE AND YOGURT CAKE
(250 g) unsalted white
1/2 cup (4 oz/113 g) butter, melted
5 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
Coarsely grated zest of one lemon
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C
2. In a large bowl crumble the cheese into small bits; add the flour, eggs, vanilla and the melted butter. Beat at medium speed until blended.
3. In another bowl beat together the yogurt, sugar and the lemon zest.
4. Combine the yogurt mixture and the cheese mixture. The batter will be quite thin, as it is supposed to be.
5. Pour into prepared pan and place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the cake is slightly golden on top and spongy when lightly pressed. The cake would not have risen, but that’s the way it should be. Once cool dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.